If you haven’t had a tune-up performed on your home’s AC system, there could be an unpleasant surprise when the summer heat arrives. The unit may not come on at all or there might not be any cold air no matter how low you set the temperature on the thermostat.
Common Issues with Your Home AC
1. Faulty ducts: Dirty ductwork has been proven to be a huge waste of energy. Unprofessional workmanship often goes undetected. Duct work can be held together with duct tape, which will eventually fail. This causes wasting valuable cooled air. Also, it brings contaminants into your home. Allergens, odors, mold, and moisture can be the result.
2. Dirty coils: Air conditioners work by sucking the heat out of your home not by adding coolness to the air. AC coils have to be cold and junk free to absorb heat. Pollutants, bacteria, and airborne contaminants can be present in the cleanest of homes. This mix can hit the wet air conditioning coil, and turn to junk. The resulting sludge is a great insulator, which means the air conditioning unit will not work correctly in your home.
3. Condenser fan problems: The air conditioner works with the AC fan to expel air outdoors. It is important that the fan is running at peak performance or your air conditioner can overheat. If the fan can’t reject heat efficiently, your energy bill will be sky high, and your air conditioner performance will be unacceptably low.
4. Thermal expansion valve issues: The thermal expansion valve is a modulating unit inside your air conditioner. It moves back and forth to regulate the amount of refrigerant flowing through the unit, depending on the amount of heating or cooling that is needed. This can cause restricted flow or flood the system neither of which are good for the unit. Your air conditioner will not function correctly and your energy bill will rise.
5. Unit age: Air conditioning units and thermostats can’t last forever.The life expectancy of an air conditioning unit is typically between 7 and 10 years depending on your cooling needs.
Watch for the following symptoms to be sure that your air conditioning unit is working to the best standards before you call an AC repair company Plano TX.
Moldy or odd smells.
A noise or bump of air flow when the unit is started up.
The appearance of streaks or dirt your air conditioner grill.
Power failures in your home (voltage issues can affect AC units).
If you are experiencing any of these problems or other issues with your AC unit contact Chrome Heating & Air Conditioning for help.
We have been family owned and operated for more than 20 years. Top skilled technicians are on call for your convenience. Chrome believes that the highest level of service available is the standard for their customers.
Photo Credit: @DepositPhotos/ A r e n a C r e a t i v eWhat To Do in Extreme Heat »